For many seniors, buying a new home is a key step in retirement. Luckily, there are plenty of resources available online that can make finding and buying the perfect home for retirement less of a hassle. Come on Home Colorado has gathered some of the best of these resources below.
Navigating Financial Challenges
Buying a home in retirement can come with different financial considerations, but seniors can use these resources to save themselves some stress and hassle from start to finish.
- Make sure you have an understanding of your home buying budget based on your annual household income, monthly expenses, and down payment amount.
- Understanding mortgages should be a priority for all homebuyers.
- Getting a mortgage in retirement means lenders examine seniors’ savings and income sources.
- Creating a complete moving budget should be the last financial step.
Finding Appropriate Home Features
When looking for a new home, seniors should look for features that will keep them comfortable in their golden years but also for features that will help keep them safe.
- A lack of accessible and safe features is one of the most common barriers preventing aging in place.
- A few features include single-story open floor plans, stepless entryways and widened doorways.
- Work with real estate professionals like Come on Home Colorado who can take the stress out of finding a home with the right features.
Planning & Managing a Move
Putting together a moving budget can help seniors save a lot of stress, but there are also a few other things seniors should think about when planning their move to a new home.
- Proper planning is the key to avoiding stress during a move, so consider hiring a senior move manager to stay on track.
- Find small ways to make your current home appealing to buyers. For example, removable wallpaper can help add pops of color to rooms and hallways.
- Seniors should also take some time to research costs and compare services from local moving companies.
- Finally, seniors should know that feeling at home can take some time, but unpacking boxes and meeting new neighbors can help them settle in faster.
If you are a senior planning on a big move, keep these resources handy so you can keep your home buying experience as stress-free as possible.
Image via Pexels
Post Contributed by: